Bugsby Reading System

Friday, August 21, 2009

All the rage are reading systems for preschoolers. They often have a pen-like device that you pass over book pages and it helps children "read" the books. Now, I have tried a few, but I have to say I LOVE the Bugsby Reading System, which is made for children from 3 to 7 years old.

When you buy the system, it comes with an easy-grip "Book Worm" touch pen and one book. From there, you can buy other stories from their growing selection at VTech. Each book comes with a cartridge that can stay with the book. But knowing I have a 20 month old and a 3 year old, those cartridges are safer with me! My 3 year old knows that, though, and will ask me for the cartridges when he wants to play. And when he's done reading, I take the cartridges back.

I love how I don't have to download stories into the pen, thanks to cartridges. It's one less "thing" I have to do. I want this to be easy for me! And it also means I will never run out of memory on the touch pen.

The book it came with was Bugsby's Amazing Search, which teaches phonics, letters, alphabetical order, vowel sounds and reading comprehension. It is a great reader for all ages, from 3 to 7.

You can see the Bugsby Reading System in action here:


The other books my son enjoys reading are The Wonder Pets Save the Chimp and Bugsby and the Magical Museum. But there are loads of titles with well-known characters kids love, like Dora, Max & Ruby, Olivia the Pig, Scooby Doo, Wow Wow Wubbzy, Wonder Pets ... and of course Bugsby himself. When you purchase the book, you can see the age recommendation and the skills reinforced on the bottom of the box.

Overall, the Bugsby Reading System helps encourage phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, world building, cause & effect, visual awareness, discovery & exploration, problem solving, reading development, language development and more. Wow, eh? And the best part is - my 3 year old loves to read with me and independently, as well, using this system.

The price is super, with a Reading System (Touch Pen, Book and Cartridge) costing $29.99. So it's a good birthday or Christmas gift! Additional hardcover books, which come with a cartridge, cost $12.99.

Photobucket

This is solely the opinion of the Mom Buzz. Other people may have different experiences with the product. The VTech Bugsby was provided for review. And don't forget to enter my other hot contests so you can win and try buzzworthy products!
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

1 Friends Buzzing:

  1. karenmed409 said...

    Thanks for the great review, makes my shopping a lot easier to pick and choose a gift when I can see someone demonstrate a product! Cute pen that comes with the system, I like the volume control and all the different things they can learn on each page, not just reading a story, but learning the words, what an adjective is etc. I think this will keep them entertained while they learn to read.

Post a Comment

News

Summer

Contest

Default