Can the Suburbs Make You Sick?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009



A newly released study has shown that living in the suburbs can make you sick. Hmm, that’s not good news for many of us, huh? Guess what the main cause is? The culprit is exercise, or lack of it. Most suburban dwellers spend less time walking and much too much time sitting in their cars.

The study defined sprawling suburban areas as those with poorly connected streets such as cul-de-sacs, separated areas for schools, housing and shops and a lower population density. Even in cities that have more congestion and pollution; city-dwellers are healthier because they live in an environment that encourages them to walk.

Where do you live? Do you walk for groceries, school, parks, etc? If not, why not? Before you hop in the car, take a moment to consider if a walk might do you good. The more you walk, the more you encourage others to do the same. I know when I see folks out walking; it always makes me want to join in. City planners may actually make changes based on the population’s behavior as well. So, get out there and take a walk.

Until next time, have a safe, happy and healthy week ahead.
-Coach Jenn of PersonalFitCoach.com


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

2 Friends Buzzing:

  1. Erin Tales said...

    I live in a suburb, but I walk to my gym. We used to walk to the pediatricians office, until they moved. And we weekly walk to the market.

  2. Marianna said...

    Boy am I screwed, I've lived in the burbs my entire life! I don't walk anywhere. No sidewalks for one but we live on top of a mountain and things like the grocery store are a few miles away.

Post a Comment

News

Summer

Contest

Default