Exercise While Watching TV

Tuesday, August 04, 2009


I’ve joined a different gym. It's the one in my very own living room. Now I work out watching Oprah, So You Think You Can Dance, The Closer, and more, and I never watch the clock. My workouts fly by.

In a recent article in Health magazine, another writer asked her trainer if watching TV might be bad for her workouts. Her trainer replied, “Like listening to music, watching TV is passive, so you can enjoy it and still focus on your workout,”

I often do home workout DVDs like Turbo Jam and Slim-in-6. In order to have those workouts in the background while I focus on a favorite TV show, I have a small portable DVD player off to the side. It works wonders and takes away any boredom at all.

Some of my clients are now trying this trick too. They were shocked to find out that watching TV really did help to motivated them and reduce the monotony and boredom sometimes associated with repetitive exercises. They now look forward to that session in front of a favorite show that they recorded from the night before, or perhaps a favorite daytime soap. So, work on that flat stomach in front of your flat screen and take the guilt out of watching guilty pleasures like The Hills. Well, most of the guilt anyway.

Until next time, have a safe, happy and healthy week ahead.

- Coach Jenn of PersonalFitCoach.com


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

2 Friends Buzzing:

  1. Erin Tales said...

    When I am on the elliptical at the gym, it definitely makes time fly when watching the tv or listening to some good techno.

  2. joannamarieprice@yahoo.com said...

    Great idea! I am going to try to portable DVD player & TV trick once baby #2 is out!

Post a Comment

News

Summer

Contest

Default