Smelly Washer? Try Affresh!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

As a former cloth diapering mama (:yahoo for Potty Training:) one thing I read often on the forums was about smelly HE washers. How they smell is almost beyond me, not owning one. But it seems like it is not just something that you find in the cloth diapering community. A friend's cousin was actually GIFTED an almost brand new HE Washer because the previous owner was so annoyed with the smell.

Well, no worries HE Washer Owners. You don't have to give away your washer to rid yourself of the smell. Whirlpool has some solutions under the brand Affresh. There is a Washer Cleaning Kit and Washer Cleaner Pouch.


Affresh® Washer Cleaners

Affresh® washer cleaners will help clean your washer, combat odor-causing residue and prevent residue build-up. If you purchase the kit you will receive three Power Puck™ tablets and six Grit Grabber™ cloths. You can also buy the pucks separately.

Why Do HE Washers Smell?
Due to the efficient design of HE machines, there is an increased potential for the build-up of odor-causing residue. See, HE washers use less water and seal more tightly than older, less-efficient machines (like mine). Somehow this can cause a build-up of odor-causing residue.

Now all brands of washers, both HE and traditional, have the potential to smell and have residue build-up. To ensure maximum performance (and a clean smell) for any machine, Whirlpool recommends a monthly maintenance and cleaning routine. It should keep your washer operating at peak efficiency.


How Does Affresh Work?
The oxygenated bubbling action of the Power Puck™ tablet penetrates and dissolves unseen residue in areas that cannot be reached like behind the washer drum. With the kit, where you get the Grit Grabber cloths, they clean by breaking up residue around the rubber door seal and detergent dispenser, locking it into the cloth. Together they are supposed to work better than bleach in cleaning the washer.

If used once a month, the Affresh® washer cleaning kit can help prevent odor-causing residue from accumulating. Heavily soiled washers may require repeated treatments to remove traces of odor and residue. In this case, Whirlpool recommends running three successive washer cleaning cycles with one Affresh® tablet in each.

Traditional Top Load Washer?
Do you have a traditional top load washer? Well the Affresh cleaners combat odor-causing residue that can accumulate in those washing machines, as well. It will help clean and prevent residue build-up.

Where to Buy:
You can find it in a lot of places, like Sears, Best Buy, Lowe’s, Kroger and Food Lion, as well as supermarkets and www.affresh.com. The Affresh tablets are available via a subscription through the Web site to make washer maintenance a snap.

INTERESTING:
My washer isn't smelly, so I wasn't quite sure how well it cleaned. I am sure it removed some residue, after owning this machine for 7 years. But I am interested in the dishwasher cleaner that will be coming soon from Affresh! Keep a look-out for it!


Affresh is giving one Buzz reader Fifty 1-puck clip-strip packs!

MANDATORY, FIRST ENTRY: Visit Affresh.com and tell me something you learned from their site.

EXTRA ENTRIES:
To receive these extra opportunities for entries, you must fulfill the first REQUIRED entry. But for extra entries, you can do the following - leave a comment for each:
  • Add the Mom Buzz to your Twitter and Tweet the contest. Leave your Tweet Link.
  • Blog about the contest - add a link to the Mom Buzz and the Sponsor
  • Add the Mom Buzz button to your site
  • Add the Mom Buzz to your blogroll.
Contest ends 8/26/09. Please refer to complete contest rules. The entries listed above are the ONLY entries for this contest. Winners will be notified by e-mail (if supplied in the entry or on profile page), as well as on the Winner's Wall.


Photobucket

This is solely the opinion of the Mom Buzz. Other people may have different experiences with the product. And don't forget to enter my other hot contests so you can win and try buzzworthy products!
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

81 Friends Buzzing:

  1. MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

    they are coming out with a dishwasher cleaner- yippee!!! I have to search for dishwasher cleaner, its about time its on the shelves and easy to find.

  2. spitfyr323 said...

    I learned that dirt and detergent leave residue, which then attracts more residue. This is what causes a stinky machine!

    spitfyr323 at hotmail dot com

  3. rrshep said...

    Affresh has new odor cleans coming for dishwashers and garbage disposals.

  4. rccalyn said...

    Wow, I had no idea there was a product out there for the nasty buildup in my washer that I can't reach to clean! I thought I had to just live with it! That's cool that oxygenating action can clean it up for me!

  5. rccalyn said...

    I follow on twitter and tweeted the contest here: http://twitter.com/rccalyn/status/3288439423

  6. MelissaT said...

    I Learned that HE washers have more odor because of using less water

  7. LoveMy2Dogs said...

    I learned I could buy Affresh at our local Krogers store.

  8. LoveMy2Dogs said...

    Your button is scrolling on my left sidebar.

  9. LoveMy2Dogs said...

    You are on my blog list on my right sidebar.

  10. degood said...

    I didn't realize that HE washers had a tendency to smell more than the traditional kind. When I was pregnant I always thought ours smelled bad but my husband said I was crazy. I am glad there is now a cleaner for them I also want to try the garbage disposal ones when they are in stores. We need those ALL THE TIME. :)

  11. cdziuba said...

    cdziuba@aol.com I learned a new product is coming (along the same line) for my garbage disposal.

  12. Terri said...

    Affresh is coming out with a dishwasher and disposal cleaner soon.
    vinter@warwick.net

  13. gigi said...

    The residue in my washer is a breeding ground for smelly bacteria. yummy.
    ruth dot gray at gmail dot com

  14. clarissa@neiding.com said...

    i learned that bleach isn't really going to be a good lasting solution to the smelly washer problem because it won't get rid of the residue...it just basically cleans the residue and later the smells will just come back

  15. Anonymous said...

    You can also buy Affresh at Whirlpool, Maytag and Amana dealers.

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

  16. Staci said...

    I learned that using it won't affect your clothes. (I worry that things like this could damage fabrics, cause discoloration if not rinsed out well). I'm glad to see that it's not an issue!
    mommastaci33(at)yahoo(dot)com

  17. Staci said...

    I have your button.
    mommastaci33(at)yahoo(dot)com

  18. Staci said...

    And you're on my blog roll.
    mommastaci33(at)yahoo(dot)com

  19. Baba said...

    I learned that Affresh is recommended to use once a month.

  20. Baba said...

    Twitter/Tweet
    http://twitter.com/Babasfarmlife/status/3301032982

  21. Baba said...

    I have your button in my fav sites marquee:
    http://babasfarmlife.blogspot.com/

  22. Susan M. Heim said...

    I learned that the residue that builds up in your HE washer is similar to the soap scum that builds up in your shower (and is equally hard to remove!).

  23. Susan M. Heim said...

    I follow on Twitter and tweeted this giveaway: http://twitter.com/ParentingAuthor/status/3308142687

  24. Susan M. Heim said...

    I have your button on my blog, Susan Heim on Parenting, at http://susanheim.blogspot.com.

  25. Megan I said...

    I learned that bleach my clean your washer, but does not remove the residue that the odors leave behind.

  26. Megan I said...

    I follow you on twitter @PartTime_Me

  27. Megan I said...

    I tweeted about this giveaway here:

    http://twitter.com/PartTime_Me/statuses/3308253181

  28. Megan I said...

    I have your button!

  29. Megan I said...

    You are on my blog list!

  30. Melissa said...

    I learned that SUPER FRESH is the only store in my area that sells it :)

    JanuaryWish at verizon dot net

  31. Stacy said...

    I didn't know the new HE washer were more vulnerable to developing odors! My mom's washer will definately need this product!

    stacyntx77@aol.com

  32. Mug-z said...

    I learned that it removes more dirt and residue than bleach, which is only a stop-gap measure.

  33. Anonymous said...

    I learned that washing appropriate clothes in hot water helps to remove residue as well.
    Thanks,
    tabitha_reed_2004@yahoo.com

  34. lisagee1234 said...

    Whirlpool, Maytag and Amana recommend this product to clean up your washer.

  35. Shel said...

    I learned that Whirlpool, Maytag and Amana all recommend Affresh Washer Cleaner once a month.

    Seriously, I was just thinking about ditching my HE washing machine because of this smell. This is the washer I HAD to have. I keep cleaning behind the seal but I still have the smell. Looks like I need something stronger.

    shel704 at aol dot com

  36. Shel said...

    You're on my blogroll
    auntiethesis.blogspot.com

    shel704 at aol dot com

  37. Shel said...

    I have your button
    auntiethesis.blogspot.com

    shel704 at aol dot com

  38. Shel said...

    I follow on twitter & I tweeted:
    http://twitter.com/auntiethesis/status/3323232209

  39. bridget3420 said...

    I learned that Affresh will not damage clothing.

  40. bridget3420 said...

    Your button is on my sidebar

    http://freebies4meandu.blogspot.com/

  41. bridget3420 said...

    You're on my blogroll

    http://freebies4meandu.blogspot.com/

  42. Rebecca N. said...

    I learned that it is not recommended that you use bleach and affresh at the same time because it reduces the effectiveness of the affresh product.
    imsosweepy { at } gmail { dot } com

  43. Rebecca N. said...

    I follow on twitter and tweeted!
    http://twitter.com/Sparkleglow/status/3332948553
    imsosweepy { at } gmail { dot } com

  44. Rebecca N. said...

    I have your button!
    http://easygoinday.blogspot.com/
    imsosweepy { at } gmail { dot } com

  45. Winter Witch said...

    Over Time Dirt and Detergent build up in your washer and it's hoses.

  46. Winter Witch said...

    Your button is on my blog www.networkingwitches.wordpress.com

  47. Winter Witch said...

    Your link is on my blogroll www.networkingwitches.wordpress.com

  48. TXsunlover said...

    I learned that I can buy Affresh at Kroger. I shop there all the time but I haven't seen this yet.
    Thanks for the chance to win!
    proudyaya04 {at} yahoo {dot} com

  49. Kristy said...

    I learned that Affresh will not damage clothing, but it is best to use on an empty washer!

    jellibeenz1978@hotmail.com

  50. Kristy said...

    Have your button up!
    www.iheartshoppingmomma.blogspot.com

    jellibeenz1978@hotmail.com

  51. tawnda said...

    I learned that the smell coming from my washer is due to dirt & soap residue... yuck!

  52. Tamara B. said...

    I learned that the Power Pucks tablets produce oxygenated cleaning action.
    tamben7996(at)aol(dot)com

  53. mim said...

    actually, this would be immensely practical. out machine smells kinda stale, like stagnant water with a moldy edge, but i didn't know why, we cleaned everything we could reach and it was newer-- but it is HE and apparently more airtight--dampness doesnt evaporate and residue can build up.
    And I also learned from the site that residue can lead to bacterial buildup--YUCK!!
    I'd love to win!

  54. Thao said...

    I learned that Affresh will gave a new product for disposals and dishwashers. I love Affresh for the washer and would use the disposal one too.



    member(dot)thao(at)gmail.com

  55. Thao said...

    Your button is located here
    wondertwinadventures.blogspot.com/

    member(dot)thao(at)gmail.com

  56. Thao said...

    http://twitter.com/twinpowells/status/3464344352/

    member(dot)thao(at)gmail.com

  57. VanBurenMom said...

    I learned that HE washers actually have a higher potential to get the build up that causes oder!


    Jaci Lapointe
    TheMomDaily@gmail.com
    www.themomdaily.blogspot.com

    Have fun every day!

  58. VanBurenMom said...

    I already have ya on Twitter, my tweetlink for the

    contest is: http://twitter.com/VanBurenMom/statuses/3491186259


    Jaci Lapointe
    TheMomDaily@gmail.com
    www.themomdaily.blogspot.com

    Have fun every day!

  59. VanBurenMom said...

    I blogged about the contest on my The Mom Daily Blog.

    The direct link to the post is:

    http://themomdaily.blogspot.com/2009/08/contests-contests-contests.html

    Jaci Lapointe
    TheMomDaily@gmail.com
    www.themomdaily.blogspot.com

    Have fun every day!

  60. VanBurenMom said...

    I have your button on my blog!


    Jaci Lapointe
    TheMomDaily@gmail.com
    www.themomdaily.blogspot.com

    Have fun every day!

  61. VanBurenMom said...

    I have you on my blogroll!


    Jaci Lapointe
    TheMomDaily@gmail.com
    www.themomdaily.blogspot.com

    Have fun every day!

  62. Carol EL said...

    I learned that Affresh is recommended to use once a month. jelly15301@gmail.com

  63. amweeks said...

    I see that they are recommended by Whirlpool!

  64. erma said...

    I learned that Affresh has new odor cleans coming for dishwashers.
    erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

  65. Sarah D. said...

    I had no idea my washer manufacturer (GE) suggests washing my machine.

  66. Kelly F said...

    I learned that they have a dishwasher and disposal cleaner coming out soon!

    wordsmoveme at gmail dot com

  67. Kelly F said...

    I have your button:
    http://invisiblepedestrian.blogspot.com/

    wordsmoveme at gmail dot com

  68. mom2anutball said...

    I learned that bleach is just a temporary fix, it never really gets to the root of the problem.
    These look neat!
    Thanks!!

    hawkgirl_16{at}hotmail{dot}com

  69. mom2anutball said...

    I have your button! http://mom2anutball.blogspot.com/

    hawkgirl_16{at}hotmail{dot}com

  70. Girly Remix said...

    Unlike bleach and other products, this product not only removes the odor but help prevent it from coming back!

  71. lilshuga2001 said...

    You gotta use Affresh ONCE a month! Right on!!

  72. Pam said...

    I have a HE washer and had complained to my husband that it smelled bad inside. I didn't know that it was caused by the buildup and that there was a product that could eliminate that. This would be great to win!

    Thanks so much!
    pamelashockley(AT)netscape(DOT)net

  73. ktgonyea said...

    Recommended by Whirlpool :)

    ktgonyea at gmail.com

  74. Think about it said...

    I learned that washing clothes in hot water helps to remove residue as well.

  75. Donna said...

    I can get it a Krogers.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  76. Donna said...

    Button on my blog.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  77. Donna said...

    Link on my blogroll.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

  78. Rajee said...

    I learned that dirt and detergent leave residue, which then attracts more residue.

  79. Rajee said...

    follower

  80. Rajee said...

    have ur button

  81. Rajee said...

    follow u on twitter and tweeted @momsfocus

Post a Comment

News

Summer

Contest

Default