Composting with Worms: Benefits

Friday, October 02, 2009


The Mom Buzz has started a new journey recently - composting with worms. When I first heard about the idea, I was immediately intrigued. You see, I feel GUILTY with everything I throw away. Yah - we recycle, but what about the food and debris that goes in the garbage and takes up room. I just felt there was a better way to dispose of it. And worms provide a natural, clean way of doing that. And the Worm Factory is how you care for your worms.

Already I learned some BIG LESSONS with the worm factory and I am going to take you on my journey over the next few weeks on how to set-up, purchase, care for and benefit from worm composting. Let's begin with the benefits of a worm compost heap!

Benefits of a Worm Compost Heap

Why do you want to compost with worms? There are TWO BIG REASONS!

Help the Environment: Composting with worms is a great way to recycle and minimize your household waste. When going green and working on helping the environment, every little bit helps.

Good for Your Garden: When composting food debris and paper with worms, you are creating a nutrient-rich fertilizer. Your garden and grass will love it. Plus, you the compost from the worm factory is less likely to "burn" or harm your plants, like store bought, non-diluted fertilizers may. Also, a liquid called "Worm Tea" is a by-product of the composting. This "tea" can be diluted as an organic fertilizer.


For Your Kids: Honestly, it's fun. I know my little boys LOVE worms and are interested in the worm factory we own to compost. And it sets a great example for them, that we have to take responsibility for our environment.


Now you know the Benefits! Stay tuned for part two - how to Set-Up a Worm Compost Heap!

Want to get started NOW composting with worms? I am currently using a Worm Factory from Cascade Worm Factory. Great support, durable product and wonderful instructions to follow!

And you can also get great tips by following wormfactory on twitter!

Photobucket

This is solely the opinion of the Mom Buzz. Other people may have different experiences with the product. And don't forget to enter my other hot contests so you can win and try buzzworthy products!
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

1 Friends Buzzing:

  1. Kimberly Kihega said...

    I've got a gift for you at my blog! :)

Post a Comment

News

Summer

Contest

Default